An SEO audit is an important part of search engine optimization. You really should not fear anything because this type of audit is not the same as the audit done by the IRS. Here, we will discuss how to properly prepare for and perform an SEO audit.
Before you can commence with the actual audit, you need to do some things first in order to be prepared.
• Website Crawling: You need to check all parts of your website to see if there are any parts which may be inaccessible to search engines. This is important because if search engines cannot access certain parts of your website, it will affect your rankings negatively. There are tools that you can use in order to properly go through your website as thoroughly as possible.
• Status Checking: After you have given yourself an idea of what parts of the website are accessible and inaccessible for search engine bots, the next thing that you need to do is to check which areas that can be crawled by search engines have actually been crawled.
This is not that easy to do, and the most logical solution to this is to look at the databases of search engines. However, this option is unavailable, since doing just that would be equal to hacking. The solution is to use Webmaster tools in order to get all the data you need regarding what search engines say about your website.
The Actual Audit
Now that you have checked the crawlable parts of your website, it is now time for you to begin with the SEO audit.
1. Indexability and Accessibility Analysis: The first step is to check and see whether crawlers are being blocked by some parts of your website. There are many website parts which may be preventing crawlers from entering, and you really would not be able to make sure of it for as long as you are not checking all uncrawlable parts. To make the process easier, divide your search into sections.
- Check your Robots.txt file: This is how you can check whether your website has blocked crawlers. If there are no user agents listed in this file as banned, then you are good to go. You can check this through the help of a Webmaster tool.
2. On Page Ranking Factor Analysis: On page factors are vast in scale and are very important. Here are just some of the most important ones which you should never skip.
- Page Content: Auditing page content has its own level of difficulty, and there is a tendency that you will spend a lot of time going through this more than in any other part of your website.
Key points for consideration include:
- Thinness of content
- Uniqueness of content
- Keyword usage
- Presence of duplicate content
- Outbound Links: The quality of your outbound links can have a huge impact on your search engine rankings. You need to make sure that for every one thousand words of text, you only have one outbound link
Off Page Ranking Factor Analysis:
This is as important as on page ranking factor analysis. However, the difference between this one and the on-site version is that this is much easier to do and this takes a shorter amount of time to complete. The process involves checking the quality of backlinks, and ensuring that the website has a continuous social media presence.
Comparing Your Website to Competitors:
This final step involves comparing the progress that your website is experiencing to the progress of other website. This can take a while to complete, especially if you have a lot of different websites to go through.